And so it begins… People can write hundreds of articles prepping you and singing the praises of dozens of players. To me, they all scream the same thing: “We are all guessing.” Fantasy footie is one of the true sports that scream beauty and fantasy worthiness is in the eyes of the beholder… that’s you lads. So this week at Razzball, I will be giving you positional breakdowns, starting with keepers today and Forwards by weeks end. I am basing my rankings on a few factors: job security, team as a whole, and value. Match-ups come and go with every changing week, that’s why I give you individually ranked positions every week for the next 40 weeks or so. So get comfy, litter it with your opinion, and here are the preseason rankings as I see it for the upcoming FPL season. Cheers! Oh, and for giggles, I called in some of the industry elite in Kevin Devries @Kevrov ,and usual draft style specialist John Wallin, @Fantasy Gaffer of Togga.
|Peter Cech||David de Gea||Peter Cech|
|David de Gea||Peter Cech||Adrian|
|Jack Butland||Kasper Schmeichel||Fraser Forster|
|Joe Hart||Hugo Lloris||Maarten Stekelenburg/Robles|
|Hugo Lloris||Heurelho Gomes||Kasper Schmeichel|
|Kasper Schmeichel||Jack Butland||Thibaut Courtois|
|Thibaut Courtois||Joe Hart||David de Gea|
|Fraser Forster||Lukasz Fabianski||Hugo Lloris|
|Victor Valdes||Jack Butland||Joe Hart|
|Heurelho Gomes||Adrian||Victor Valdes|
|Adrian||Steve Mandanda||Jack Butland|
|Maarten Stekelenburg||Fraser Forster||Heurelho Gomes|
|Ben Foster||Simon Mignolet||Tom Heaton|
|Lukasz Fabianski||Thibaut Courtois||Steve Mandanda/Speroni|
|Vito Mannone||Ben Foster||Eldin Jakupovic/McGregor|
|Simon Mignolet||Tom Heaton||Vito Mannone|
|Steve Mandanda||Vito Mannone||Lukasz Fabianski|
|Eldin Jakupovic||Maarten Stekelenburg||Ben Foster|
|Artur Boruc||Victor Valdes||Simon Mignolet/Karius|
|Tom Heaton||Eldin Jakupovic||Artur Boruc|
- Peter Cech, Arsenal £5.5 – He is the goods and his price says that he is. He led all individual keepers last year with 16 clean sheets, which is the life blood of any keeper/defender. Defense in front of him isn’t changed too much and that is a good don’t fix what’s broken thing.
- David de Gea, Man United £5.5 – To me he is one of only two fantasy guys I can look at from the beginning of the year, Smalling being the other. I wanna see what happens with the big guns play wise first. Should flourish under Mourinho and a healthy stable of defense in his anterior.
- Jack Butland, Stoke £5.0 – The potters were up and down last year, but not to Capt Jack. He missed time last year and still finished in top-3 in most categories underlying what mattered; saves, bonus points.
- Joe Hart, Man City £5.5 – Consistently consistent if that makes any sense. He is always in contention for the golden glove title and has millions of dollars in front of him to protect him. Plays every game if he is healthy.
- Hugo Lloris, Spurs £5.5 – Is he this good or are the defenders in front of him better. Most of his defense are all fantasy worthy in some shape or form. That sometimes limits his save potential, but his clean sheet stuff is about as quality as it can be.
- Kasper Schmeichel, Leicester £5.0 – The defending champs scored a lot and people will remember the fantasy breakouts of Mahrez and Vardy. They will forget that the lead league in goals allowed.
- Thibaut Courtois, Chelsea £5.5 – If Chelsea had defenders that actually fit into Conte’s system he would be a top three option for me, unfortunately they don’t and he shows signs of being an elite goalie and then doesn’t. Shaky defense with meh play make hi a really tough set it and forget it goalie play for me.
- Fraser Forster, Southampton £5.0 – Missed parts of last year due to injury but if I am making a team based on potential to be good it would start with FF. Defence is in place for him to shine and they allow shots which help his point total. I think if he plays like we think he can be a top 4 keeper come years end.
- Victor Valdes, Middlesbrough £4.5 – Boro led the C’ship for two straight years in goals allowed and are a very defensive efficient team. How that correlates to the upper tier of English football remains to be seen. Valdes has all world resume with stops at Barca and United so he is pretty good.
- Heurelho Gomes, Watford £5.0 – I usually love goalies that accumulate saves and can parry PK’s like he showed. The unfortunate thing is I usually like to accompany my goalie with a defender from the same team and I just don’t trust anyone on the Hornets…right now.
- Adrian, West Ham £5.0 – The injury to the very fantasy worthy Cresswell dings him a bit, but they play very tough in the back. Has viable wing defenders to take up slack and theyare stout up the middle. 9 CS last campaign and could easily reach double digits this year.
- Maarten Stekelenburg, Everton £5.0 – He is a tad over-priced and I think he is one of the few that comparatively I would rather own a different 5 dollar keeper. Veteran defence in front and has skills to be a viable 1 keeper.
- Ben Foster, West Brom £4.5 – If it’s Boaz or Ben it don’t matter I have them ranked both the same. Pulis’ system is good for just enough double digit CS that they are viable second keepers based on match-up.
- Lukasz Fabianski, Swansea £5.0 -I can dig on Fabi if it wasn’t for his price. If he was a 4.5 priced goalie he would be in the top 10. Has the vets and kept 9 CS to his name last year. Save total will be in your favor but not as much as others.
- Vito Mannone, Sunderland £4.5 – I sorta love the Cats defense this year and I think if they keep the unit healthy and intact it could be a fantasy swoon for many an owner.
- Simon Mignolet, Liverpool £5.0 – The injury to his maybe successor in Loris Karius helps him for now retain a spot and significance for fantasy. He shouldn’t be a viable option in your approach unless you own an Anfield tattoo. If Karius is in the saddle he is the top 12.
- Steve Mandanda, Crystal Palace £4.5 – The battle between he and Wayne Hennessey is a tough one to call and I can see them getting equal time hence the sweet 16 ranking. Palace were near the bottom in goals allowed, but should be improved enough to make them a great second keeper choice.
- Eldin Jakupovic, Hull £4.0 – With McGregor an injury monger to start the year he is the belle of the 4 buck ball to begin. He pairs swimmingly with anyone and rotates nicely with a few others.
- Artur Boruc, Bournemouth £4.5 – I like, not love the Cherries defense that currently looks to be blossoming in front of Artur. I just don’t see him as a go to goalie. Has more talent in front of him to cover up the warts is basically what I am saying. Cs promise isn’t as strong.
- Tom Heaton, Burnley £4.5 – The newly promoted squad is going to score a lotof goals. They are going to give up more though. I wouldn’t own a Burnley defender unless I was forced to by a wager.